Thursday, November 3, 2011

Vipassana Revelations

Due to the interest in Buddhism that has arisen coinciding with our study of Dharma Bums, I thought I'd share another poem I wrote on one of my last days of the silent-meditation in Java.  No forms of communication were allowed inside the temple, which means yes, I snuck in a notebook and a pen so that I was able to write during my breaks between meditations.  I only wrote the one afternoon, and it's not as bad as one of my roommates, who smashed a cockroach in our room and gave me a silent thumbs-up after being implored not to harm any living creatures during our stay in the temple.  Close your eyes, take a deep breath, then read and enjoy.


Vipassana Revelations

Sacrifice some senses
to sharpen the others.
Forego speech,
focus the mind,
close the eyes,
turn vision inwards.
Follow the breathe.
There are no hidden doors,
sacred secrets to reveal;
only what is
the truth -
a long, hard path.

See the sunrise
behind closed lids.
Not in the fading gray
of retreating mists,
but in the quieting chirps of crickets
and the rising song of birds,
the gentle rustle of leaves
stirred by convections of heat and light.
Such subtle sensations
in the shattering of dark.

Take great pleasure
in the mundane:
wonder at the fine mist
released when peeling an orange,
so fine it falls
more up than down.

Marvel at the spider
who has mastered its craving,
unmoved for days
by neither wind nor rain.
A perfect Buddha
above this world,
secure in a web of its
mind's own making.

The sudden violence
in a gust of wind
toppling the top of a tree.
Bark breaking
with the sound of slow lightning
and sending it to the ground,
a quivering tambourine of leaves.

The praying mantis
perched on the light post;
surprise at his swiveling head,
the fixed gaze.

A pink gecko
on a blue tarp.

Lazy ants
wandering the dining tables,
grown large and fearless,
safe in sila,
waiting for a stray grain of rice,
a spot of spilled tea.

The thunder of pounding
horse hoofs in rain drops
when a squall comes over
the ridge line and
moves down the mountain
like an avalanche.

The melodic stirring
of a bamboo flute in the wind.
Bruno, meek-smiling Frenchman,
I would’ve never known it was you,
the self-less giver of cookies.

-Trey Highton

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this. It really strikes my interest in your dharma bums lecture. Unfortunately, I had work that night and was unable to attend. I'd be interested in hearing a little more. Thanks for sharing.

    -cassandra

    ReplyDelete